How To Turn Your Niche Site Into An Automated, Evergreen Business, And Double Your Income Whilst Working Less
Can I be honest with you for a second?
You're NOT a serious internet marketer.
And I don't say that to offend you...
It's just that you are not a serious internet marketer until you have your first sales funnel in place.
And I bet you don't, right?
Oh and don't think this doesn't apply to you, here's why it does:
It doesn’t matter if you are a seasoned SEO veteran, an Amazon Ninja or an Affiliate Black Belt.
It doesn't matter whether your site is a 10 page mini site or a huge 1,000 page authority blog or somewhere in between.
If you don’t have a sales funnel, you don’t have a business.
And because of that you're losing money and risking being instantly put out of business by an algorithm change or drop in traffic.
And believe me; I didn’t have a business either until recently.
Would you like to turn your niche site into a sustainable, long term, business...
...that generates money while you sleep and is never at risk from Google penalties or other things you can't control?
Then read on to find out how...
It’s Simple: Funnels Are Everywhere
Any type of communication that you see out there, any kind of advertising, any activity you make online or offline, any piece of advertisement has a funnel behind it.
In fact, sales funnels are the best way to go if you want to double, triple or even quadruple your business this year.
It doesn’t matter if you are doing SEO, Affiliate Marketing, Authority Blogs, Amazon Sites or Launch Jacks.
You need to have a sales funnel in place to leverage on all the effort that you are putting forward. (Discover how $500 worth of eBooks could have been $3000 with the help of sales funnels)
In fact, you must be struggling hard enough already to get rankings, traffic and sales.
So why wouldn’t you have a system that will leverage your efforts, increase your income and decrease the amount of hours you work every day?
That’s exactly what a sales funnel can do you for you.
And not even a sales funnel, but a “Sales Funnel Mentality”
(P.S. If you'd like to download a free list of 1,781 profitable niches click here or the image below)
The Sales Funnel Mentality
I haven’t always had this mentality.
In fact, I have been a huge SEO fan over the past 9 years. And I still am.
And I’d grind day and night to get my sites to Page 1 and Top 3.
I would lose my sleep when a client dropped in rankings or when a new algorithm change would appear.
However, over the past couple of years I have been slowly realizing that if I want to have a successful and sustainable business online.
A business that will feed my long dreamed lifestyle (you know, the fancy cars, the yachts, the exotic vacations and stuff).
A business that will help me maintain a family, rise my kids and fulfill my dreams, while working less and less (like Tim Ferris).
I’d need to be more intelligent with my efforts.
And that’s how the sales funnel mentality started to take place in my mind.
And I hope this article plant the seeds in yours too!
But What Are Sales Funnels Anyways?
The answer is surprisingly simple and shocking:
- A sales funnel is a group of pages that allow you to turn visitors into customers.
So whether you are doing SEO (Click here to discover 3 easy ways to get backlinks without SEO), PPC, Affiliate Marketing or Product Launches, you need to have a sales funnel setup, and here is why:
- When you are ranking a website, you might get a ton of traffic from Google. But if you don’t have a funnel in place to capture all of that traffic, you will be leaking a ton of visitors every single day.
- Furthermore, if your site gets hit by any of Google algorithm changes, your business will plummet and you will pretty much need to start over.
- If you are doing affiliate websites, once your visitor clicks on a banner or an ad, you have lost it forever. In fact, that visitor will become an asset for somebody else (the owner of the product you are promoting, in this case).
- When you are doing product launches, you will put a ton of effort and time into getting traffic and creating JVs. But without a funnel in place, you won’t have the opportunity to recycle that traffic and make it purchase your products over and over again. So you need to build your next launch from the ground up, every time.
- If you are creating Amazon sites and you are not collecting emails, then you will miss a ton of valuable visitors that are ready to make a purchase. Guess who will leverage on your hard work? That’s right! Amazon will collect those leads and sell them over and over again.
- If you are doing PPC and you don’t know why you don’t convert, then it’s because you are missing an effective sales funnel! Imagine having a visitor that purchases over and over again, just by paying the first click that led him to your website.
How to Turn your Website into a Money Generating Funnel?
Now that you know what you are missing out because of not having a funnel, let’s break down the entire process.
This will help you gain clarity and get to know the steps of a highly successful funnel that you can implement today.
As stated before, a sales funnel is a group of pages in sequence.
These pages have different goals and they want the visitor to perform ONE action (and one action only) while visiting them.
You have probably seen a lot of SEO marketers trying to rank their homepage. (Discover Survival niche keywords here and learn how you can replicate the process yourself)
Or PPC people sending traffic to a sales page with tons of options.
That’s a no-go.
A funnel is designed to create one action at a time, in every step of it.
So here are the steps and the actions that we want to trigger on each of the pages:
- The Lead Magnet: You have probably heard of this before. Basically you are collecting emails by giving away a freebie. This freebie has to be valuable and the optin page’s goal is to turn a visitor into a lead. The higher the number of leads it converts per visitor, the higher the conversion rate (Get lead magnet ideas here)
- The Trip Wire: This is something probably you are not familiar with yet. A trip wire is a small piece of information that is being sold by $7 to $27. Why do you want to have a trip wire? First off, to turn a visitor into a customer. Secondly, to pay for your traffic (whether it is SEO, PPC, Social Media, etc.). So basically the trip wire should help you breaking even or earning some money while growing your list.
- The Core Offer: This is where you offer the actual product that you want to sell. It can be a product from Amazon, an Affiliate Product or your own product.
- The Follow Up: This is not actually a page, but it’s the tool you will use to convert the leads into purchasing your trip wire, or your trip wire purchasers to get the core offer. This is usually achieved via email.
So, Where Can I Start?
Now you know the steps of a funnel.
And step one is collecting emails from your visitors.
So if you are not collecting emails and building a target email list, then it’s time to do it.
It doesn’t matter if you do SEO or Amazon websites, an email list is the best asset any internet marketer could have.
And it will keep you safe from any Google algorithm or Facebook ads account banned that may hurt you in the future.
If you don’t have an email list, you don’t have a business. It’s that big of a deal.
You don’t need to have a big list either; you just need a responsive one.
And by a responsive one I mean a list you can share value to. More on this later.
So you can start gathering emails from this very moment.
You don’t even need to have a lead magnet ready!
Just ask people to leave their email to receive future updates from your blog. That’s a good start.
Although, a lead magnet will increase your conversion rate and the chance to receive an email in exchange for something tangible people can redeem.
Some ideas for lead magnets could be:
- Grab your best post and turn it into a PDF to give it away.
- Write a 10 steps tutorial to do something related to your niche.
- Purchase a set of PLR articles and rewrite them with your own words.
- Pack some knowledge you already have into a checklist, a cheat sheet or a mind map.
- Setup a case study.
- Give away a short 10 minutes video tutorial.
- Purchase and send an infographic from Fiverr.
Here is an example of a lead magnet from Digital Marketer:
Check out the conversion rate for a PDF lead magnet:
And you may even consider doing a webinar lead magnet. Look at the conversion rates below for webinar lead magnets:
Remember that a lead magnet should be short, to the point and should solve a problem on the spot.
You will also need an autoresponder to deliver the lead magnet. I recommend Aweber or Getresponse. And if you're still not sure on how you can increase your email list, check this out.
And What’s Next?
Now onto step 2: The Trip Wire
The term “Trip Wire” is not mine. I’ve learnt it from Ryan Deiss at Digital Marketer.
However, the concept of the trip wire has been around for quite a while.
A trip wire, as I mentioned before, is a small piece of content that usually expands what the Lead Magnet is saying.
Basically if you are telling the WHAT on the lead magnet, then you will tell the HOW on the tripwire.
Some of the best trip wires out there are actually physical products.
This like a paperback book, or an inexpensive small tool.
These are usually killer trip wires.
Here are the conversion rates on a trip wire sales letter:
Why is this important?
Even if you are offering a trip wire for $1, the fact that somebody is taking out his or her credit card and giving you $1 (provided that you deliver what you promised) is magical.
Not only that, but if you are bringing PPC traffic, a Tripwire is a great way of self-liquidating that traffic.
And by self-liquidating I mean that you are breaking even with your traffic expenses (you can learn from the mistakes Stuart made for driving traffic to NicheHacks).
And this also applies to SEO people, since you are not actually paying for your traffic with your money, but with your time. And in business time is money.
So let’s make some quick numbers here:
- Let’s say that you have an optin page that converts at 40% (meaning that every 1000 visitors, you will get 400 leads and give away 400 lead magnets).
- From those 400 leads, you get a 5% conversion rate on the trip wire page (you’ll end up selling 20 trip wires).
- If you are selling each tripwire at $27, that’s $540 in revenue.
Now you have an exact PPC cost that you can pay MAXIMUM for each click that gets to your landing page!
You can pay up to $0.54 per click to break even ($540 income divided by 1000 visitors).
This is also known as rendering all of your leads for free!
Now what you need to do is to get as many clicks for under $0.54 as you can get and you will be literally growing your list and printing money.
How cool is that?
That is the power of a well optimized sales funnel.
The Importance of Value
I bet now you are itching to start collecting emails from your websites and building your audience.
Your own audience!
This is super powerful because you can actually create rapport with these people and make them ask you for more information, products, consulting, etc.!
If you have your own product, then you can push some offers to your list.
If you are doing Amazon or Affiliate marketing, then you can send out deals and special discounts. (Learn how to write emails that can potentially outperform super affiliates)
But the most important thing you can share with your list is value.
People learn, buy and trust other people.
So if you can become that person of trust, then it will be just a matter of time until you see your sales and conversions go through the roof!
So after you have a new lead in your list, you can develop a follow up sequence to:
- Deliver additional value to your subscribers (even more value than the free PDF or video that you gave away).
- Create rapport and authority with insights, tips and tricks that you send out for free.
- Give away honest reviews about products that you have tried and you want others to benefit from as well.
- Push offers, products and other services.
- JV with people and send emails to your list about other peoples’ products, earning a commission.
BUT, before doing all of this, you need to create high value and rapport with them.
Once they trust you, they will open their hearts (and wallets) to your business.
The main point here is to start with the traffic you already have, where you are right now, and leveraging your business by making some small tweaks here and there.
You don’t need tons of traffic.
You don’t even need to have everything figured out.
You don’t need a big list to start selling.
You just need to take ACTION!
Are you ready to get started?
(P.S. If you'd like to download a free list of 1,781 profitable niches click here or the image below)
Hernan Vazquez is an internet entrepreneur and SEO professional, whose passion is helping businesses reaching more audience by building highly profitable funnels and marketing strategies. He has been working in the Internet Marketing and SEO field over the past 9 years, generating highly profitable affiliate sites.
He then started teaching the SEO techniques that brought him success at SemanticMastery.com. After almost 2 years of a successful entrepreneur and SEO trainer career, he has dived into PPC, Social Media, Lead generation and overall traffic and conversions strategies for other fellow entrepreneurs and marketers.
Sign up to get your free guide that shows how Hernan used 5 sources of free traffic to bring 5,492 new visitors in 30 days: Hernan Vazquez
On Facebook: My Facebook group