Ready to take a gamble in a 2.2 billion dollar industry?
Then let's get our poker faces on and learn how we can take advantage of online poker, a market that is worth more than $2.2 billion dollars, and profit from it.
We'll reveal how much money is being spent, why it's profitable, and who your target audience is so you can understand who your spenders are.
The bestselling physical and digital products will be revealed so you know what to sell.
You'll discover what the most popular content is, who the most influential people are, as well as a full examination of what the most popular sites, blogs, forums and social media hubs are for advertising and traffic purposes.
The common problems that people in the Online Poker niche are revealed as well as blog content ideas, domain name suggestions, keywords, who's advertising and more.
Lastly we'll look at why YOU should get involved in the Online Poker niche and what you can do to dominate it.
All of the reports that we create are thoroughly researched and designed to give you a head start in making a profit from the niche.
We try and choose niches that have a wide range of different business models available but the vast majority would make perfect blog / authority sites monetized by affiliate marketing.
- $2.2 Billion A Year Under Nationwide Industry
- The gross revenue from online poker was 3.2 billion U.S. dollars.
- Market across the EU 28 countries was estimated to be worth approximately €1.9bn of GGR in 2013
- A compound annual growth rate of 66.8%.
- 40 million people play poker regularly (6.8% of the adult population)
- 23 million of these regular players are in the U.S. (10.1% of the U.S. adult pop.)
- 15 million in total play online for real money (2.6% of the adult pop.)
- 7 million play online for real money at least once a month (1.4%)
- 5 million play for real money at least once a month in “Home Games” (1.1%)
- 2 million play for real money at least once a month in “Private Clubs” (0.4%)
(P.S. If you'd like to download a free list of 1,781 profitable niches click here or the image below)
Niche Demand & Monthly Searches
The table above shows the monthly searches on Google for this niche.
Combined they add up to over 116900 searches a month and that's not including the thousands of long tail keywords that we haven't covered.
This is a huge niche with a lot of demand.
What People Are Searching For
Here's what people are searching for on Amazon, Yahoo, Bing, and Answer.com...
As you can see people are searching for everything from online poker games to documentary to strategy in the niche.
This shows just how passionate this audience are about the niche.
Online poker has been slowly declining over the past few years but it is predicted to remain static for years to come.
The online poker niche is an evergreen market which is perfect as this means we 100% know it's profitable, all the research that ever needs to be done has been already, the target audience are easy to find online and there's endless products to be sold.
Sub-niches To Explore
- Online Poker Games
- Online Poker Philippines
- Online Poker Free
- Online Poker Tips
- Free Online Poker
- Best Online Poker Sites
- Head up Poker
- Texas Hold Em
- Ohama Poker
- Online Poker Strategy
May also be interested:
- Online Trading
- Online Gambling
- Online Bets
Most Popular Content
Use the ideas here to create similar content for your site.
As you can see people excited and motivated to share content such as poker chips online to winners online in this niche.
Domain Name Ideas
Influential People In The Niche
These are the 4 most influential people in the market niche on online poker niche.
Network with them. Highlight or feature them in your content. Interview them. Use them to do research.
These people are NOT your enemy, but instead potential partners who can send you traffic and work with you.
In this niche people are buying mainly books and apps.
The types of items that can be found in the Online Poker niche is pretty clear when you look at the listings as it can range from games, guides to books.
Best Selling Products On Amazon:
There will always be newer and better products which means buying the latest and greatest gadgets, books, apps, and systems that will generate sales as well as repeat sales for you.
There are over 37 products related to the topic on CB. Incorporate these items from Clickbank to maximize profits.
Most Clickbank products offer 50-75% commission meaning generous payouts.
Given the general trend for players to become savvier and technically advanced, it’s worthwhile to affiliate for software tools they might want to use while playing.
Poker Training Sites with Affiliate Programs
A more advanced way to learn in the current online poker climate is via video training sites, some of which offer affiliate commissions:
Other Affiliate Programs & Offers
These are independently run affiliate programs.
CPA & Other Offers
Products Available On Other Platforms
Google Play Books
Google Play Apps
Other Affiliate Products
These are other affiliate products that you can use and poker players would love to get involved with so it's up to you on how you recommend these to them.
‘Rakeback’ as an Affiliate Product
As you can see in the graph above, interest in Rakeback has declined along with the entire online poker market (since much of it closed to the US in 2011) but has remained stable in recent years, and major affiliates still earn mid five figures monthly.
What is Rakeback?
Poker players pay rake (around 4-5% of each pot) as they play, which is how poker sites make money.
‘Rakeback’ started as a deal whereby the player has part of their rake returned each month, anywhere from e.g. 27 - 70% of it depending on the site.
Players had to sign up to the site through an affiliate to receive Rakeback.
Why Was Rakeback Offered?
Poker sites pay commissions to affiliates for referring players, tracking referrals by cookie, just like Amazon.
Affiliates created rakeback as a way to incentive players to sign up through them - by paying players rakeback they were essentially throwing part of the money they earn back at players.
Poker Sites Allowed This?
Yes, unlike some other affiliate marketing methods online, you’re allowed to financially incentivize traffic. Poker affiliates would use slogans such as ‘get paid to play’.
It’s seen as a win-win situation, sites receive more players paying rake, players receive part of their rake back, and affiliates take a cut as the middle man.
It’s That Easy?
For years affiliates had an easy time making money, with lifetime affiliate contracts. Often players didn’t even know which affiliate they were tagged to, and in some cases players would go on to become huge rakers.
Professional poker players tend to rake from $50 - $500 / day. ‘Supernova Elite’ players on PokerStars for example rake $160,000 a year. A lucky affiliate could refer a high-volume player, then simply sit back and take their cut.
In more recent times however there have been some issues - now that poker is in decline somewhat, poker sites have more of a love-hate relationship with affiliates, ending contracts on a whim.
Other Affiliate Products
Poker players tend to use eWallets to avoid leaving a paper trail of online gambling transactions with their bank, many of which you can affiliate for:
- Bitcoin Providers
They also tend to use VPNs for security over public wifi, and to avoid security flags on their account when playing while travelling. Some main VPN companies with affiliate programs are:
Example Poker Affiliate Business Models
Below are some of the main affiliates in online poker, and the approach they take.
Focused on search engine traffic, features a 10 year old premium domain and seen as an authority site by Google. They are essentially a niche site focusing on technical information about rake, VIP programs, and reviews of sites.
For example they made an equivalent rakeback calculation tool in Java for PokerStars players, to get to #1 in Google for ‘PokerStars Rakeback Calculator’ - players are interested to know what their VIP rewards are as a rakeback percentage.
Another niche technical site, they focus more on attracting players through forums, notably the TwoPlusTwo forums, the largest online poker forum.
To advertise publicly on there requires purchasing a sponsored sub-forum for several thousand dollars. It’s a very valuable source of traffic however.
In the same vein, RakeTheRake have a TwoPlusTwo rep and provide players with rakeback or recommendations to sites with the best VIP programs for them.
By far the largest poker affiliate, PokerStrategy were actually bought out by a poker site (the iPoker Network) for 38.3 million Euros.
Their success came from offering a free online poker school, with introductory videos in multiple languages. They then offered a free bankroll to players who signed up to poker rooms through them, and advanced videos to players that raked a lot.
PokerNews have journalists covering live tournaments such as the World Series, and are one of the main sources of industry news. On the side they direct traffic to online poker rooms.
In Conclusion For Poker Affiliates
Some advice for a new poker affiliate would be:
- Don’t invest too much in one poker site - they could change the terms of their affiliate deals at any time
- Promote a range of US and RoW sites
- Even if rooms don’t allow rakeback they usually pay affiliate commissions
- Affiliate for training sites, software, and other related products on the side
- Diversify into related niches like casino gaming, DFS and forex
- Stay up to date with modern learning tools, browse forums, follow industry news (Pokerfuse.com and OnlinePokerReport.com are good) and get exposure via Twitch
If any readers are unsure who to follow on Twitter, @Rakebackcom follows ~2600 active poker players and influential industry figures - as a beginner I’d follow the same accounts.
Blogs, Forums And Social Media
Use these forums, blogs and social media groups to get content ideas, network, drive traffic and inspiration.
Google blog search shows almost 46,900,000 pages and posts indexed about online poker, so there's no shortage of content ideas and bloggers to network with.
Top Online Poker Blogs:
Top Online Poker Sites:
Use these blogs for content ideas, networking opportunities, guest posting, traffic and more.
Online Poker Forums
These are some of the top forums catering to online poker
The membership numbers clearly show how simple it can be for you to discover and help solve issues for your audience and traffic to your site can start pouring in.
Facebook has tens of 1000’s of people interested in online poker. It's a great place to network, advertise, get traffic, meet others in the niche and more.
Facebook Most Popular Pages
Facebook Most Popular Groups
Most Popular Youtube Channels
Popular Reddit Groups
Scoop It Groups
Websites Sold On Flippa.com
Seeing websites that have already sold in the niche show a profitable and in demand niche.
It's also a great idea to get a look at what successful site owners have done and emulate them.
Why Are People In This Niche
- You can gamble from the comfort of your home without having to go to the casino.
- It's not as intimidating as a live game which attracts less confident players who aren't ready for the live game
- It's a real rush and thrill as you can literally win money with a few clicks of your mouse.
- It can be a great way to win money if you're good or lucky.
- An ego boost if you win / are good means people get a rush from playing
- Addiction, sadly many people are addicted to online poker.
- Enjoy learning and improving, some people really get into learning how to improve their game and move up in the ranks
- People of all skill levels can compete against each other from anywhere in the world, there's a real community aspect
- Even if you're not the best in the world with some luck you can win a lot of money or go far in tournaments
Most Common Topics And Questions
These questions / topics are problems that need solving. Solve them in your content and through your product recommendations and you'll have a happy audience ready to spend money.
Amazon, Clickbank and other networks have products which cater to these problems.
- Where can US players play?
- Are the sites/live chat down?
- Do jackpot sngs not help me clear my bonus?
- What software does WPN network allow?
- JackPot SnGs do not count for SnG Crush?
- Make a deposit on BCP or not?
- Double or nothing's removed?
- Day light savings issue?
- WPN on Sharkscope?
- Are bitcoin deposits working right now?
Who's Advertising In The Niche
Advertising is a strong sign of a profitable niche. People don't spend money on ads if they can't profit from it.
These are the 2 major advertisers on Google.com:
Blog Topic Ideas
These are some proven blog topic ideas that would work well in this niche:
- 10 Signs You Should Invest In Online Poker
- The Ultimate Cheat Sheet On Online
- 15 Best Blogs To Follow About Poker
- 20 Myths About Online Poker
- 10 Quick Tips About Online
- Are No Deposit Bonuses For Online Poker Putting Strain On Live Venues?
For more ideas check out the following resources:
Reasons To Get Involved In This Niche
- Online Poker is a stable market and is highly profitable.
- It's worth $2.2 billion and stable so now is the perfect time to get involved.
- Over 116900 people are searching for just the most obvious keywords every month – showing huge online demand.
- The target audience, mostly male aged 20 above tend to have disposable income to spend – you can benefit from that spending.
- Between the social media hubs and forums there's around 291196 members meaning a huge pool of engaged traffic to tap into.
- There's an endless array of content ideas in the niche including popular ones like Harrington on Online Cash Games, create similar content but better and it's almost guaranteed to go viral.
- People are passionate about this topic and ready to spend money, you can see they already buy online poker books it may as well be spent with you.
- There's endless problems from how to win online and every problem as a product available which solves it – sell these as an affiliate
- There's plenty of good domain names available including bestnetpoker.com – pick one and get started.
- Bovada Poker Room and Online Poker USA are advertising in this niche showing it must be profitable, people don't spend money on ads if they can't profit from them – get involved.
How To 'Hack' Your Way Into The Niche
You can have an up-to-date and relevant authority site or blog on online poker or one of it's many sub-niches.
This niche has got everything you need for a near "perfect niche" – an obsessive audience with money to spend lots of products on sale, tons of social media sites, loads of blogs and forums with an easy to reach target audience.
You get your content ideas from seeing what's popular on other online poker blogs and related blogs and simply write something bigger and better, bolder and stronger. Make the other ones pale in comparison.
Your profits can grow in no time thanks to the passionate audience in this exciting niche market looking to sign up to new poker sites and buy training materials through your affiliate link.
By networking with others in the niche, sharing their content and linking to them, your website will grow. Just watch as they return the favor.
And don't forget to build your email list so you can continue to build your relationship with your audience, drive traffic back to your newest content, and promote to your audience
What You'll Need To Get Started:
- A brandable domain from NameCheap
- A premium theme from Studiopress
- Image & graphics from Photodune from $1 (don't take images from Google you'll end up in legal trouble)
- An auto-responder to build your email list and contact your customers – Aweber is just $1
- The number #1 email capture tool on the market – OptinMonster, so you can grow your list fast.
- A set of 12+ free tools that'll blow up your email list and exponentially grow your site from SumoMe.
What You Can Use This Report For
There are no limits as to what you can use this niche report for, you'll find it useful whether you're looking to research new blog ideas, small product review sites, ecommerce, info-products or other business models.
Most of the reports I create, including this one, make great topics for authority sites and blogs
As I give you niches where there's a lot of money being spent AND huge demand, big online communities (forums, blogs, social media groups), lots of influential people to network with and a ton of good affiliate products to promote and more.
These niches make for great authority sites / blogs as they have multiple traffic sources, different ways to monetize, endless content ideas, easy to find traffic, scope for growth and more.
How you choose to use them is up to you but make sure you DO use them as simply researching will get you nowhere...taking action will!
If You've Missed Our Previous Niche Reports:
- Forget Shaving And Discover This Hairy 21 Billion Dollar Niche Market
Want 6+ New Niche Reports Every Month?
If you want instant access to 150+ profitable niche reports and 6+ new reports every month including a list of profitable keywords, check out our members area.
Over 450 members are already taking advantage, why aren't you?
Join us here: